ITINERARY FOR BIRDWATCHING BHUTAN (10 days)
- Day-1-Arrive Paro. Birds you may encounter include Himalayan Monal, Blood and Kalij Pheasant, Yellow-billed Blue Magpie, Grey-crested & Rufous-fronted Tits, Black-faced Laughing Thrush, Collard Grosbeak, White-browed & Dark-rumped Rosefinch, Long-tailed Thrush. Overnight in hotel Thimphu.
- Day-2 -In the morning birding at Dochhula Pass (3140m). You have a good chance of finding Satyr Tragopan, White-throated, Straited, Chesnut-crowned Laughingthrushes, Darjeeling Woodpecker, Fire-tailed Myzornis, Rufous winged Fulvetta, Hoary-throated Barwing,etc…. . Afternoon do birding at Pachhu area. Overnight in hotel at Punakha..
- Day-3 In the morning depart to Trongs. Stop at Pelela pass (3325m) and take a birding downhill of a old highway road. , in which you may come across with Himalayan Griffon, Chestnut-bellied Rock Thrush, Grey-sided Bush Warbler, Fire-tailed Sunbird, Great and Brown Parrot bill, etc.. . Overnight in hotel at Trongsa.
- Day-4- Early in the morning with breakfast and lunch packed proceed to Bumthang. On the way stop for birding in which you may come across with Blood Pheasant, Satyr Tragopan, Fire-tailed Myzornis, Fire-tailed sunbird and Great Parrotbill. Overnight in hotel at Bumthang.
- Day-5- Drive to Yongkola campsite with the birding.if you are lucky you may see Brown Bullfinch, Scarlet Finch, Grey-winged Blackbird, Brown-throated Treecreeper, Grey-sided Laughingthrush. If time permits bird at Lingmithang area too. Camp at Yongkola
- Day 6-Drive to Mongar with birding stops. Travelling through untouched forest we stand further chances of Ward’s Trogon, Rufous-necked Hornbill, Greater Rufous-headed Parrotbill, Black-throated Parrotbill, Slender-billed Scimitar Babbler, Broad-billed Warbler, Asian Emerald Cuckoo, Blue-bearded Bee-eater, Crimson-breasted Woodpecker, Long-billed and Bar-winged Wren Babbler, Streaked-breasted and Rusty-cheeked Scimitar Babbler and Bhutan Laughingthrush. Over Night at Mongar.
- Day-7- After breakfast drive to Trashigang. We will make birding stops en-route. Species might include Grey-winged Blackbird, Brown-throated Treecreeper, Grey-sided Laughingthrush and Little Bunting. Overnight at Trashigang.
- Day-8-All-day driving with birding stops from Tashigang to Narphung.Today and the following day we have chances of Golden Langur, Beautiful Nuthatch, Red-billed Leiothrix, Red-faced Liocichla, Blue-winged Laughingthrush, Great Hornbill, Green-billed Malkoha. Night Camp- Narphung.
- Day 9- Birding between Dewathang- Samdrup Jongkhar. Today we will seeing Brownish-flanked Bush-warbler, Rufous-bellied Eagle, Little Bunting, Black Eagle, Emerald Dove, Bronze Drongo, Beautiful Nuthatch, Red-billed Leiothrix, Red-faced Liocichla, Orange-bellied Leafbird, Blue-winged Laughingthrush, Black-nape Monarch, Grey-throated Babbler, Black-crested Bulbul, Oriential Pied Hornbill, Great Hornbill, Green-billed Malkoha. Overnight at Hotel S/ Jongkhar..
- Day 10-Departure
GUIDELINES FOR TOURISTS
- 1. Tourism Policy of the Royal Government of Bhutan
All tourists must travel on a pre-planned, prepaid, guided package tour. Independent travel is not permitted.
- 2. Booking & Reservations of tours
Book your tours with us. Our associates in Bhutan will operate your tour. Our Tour Manager cum birding guide will be present throughout to ensure service as per itinerary.
Your tour will be operated, within the parameters laid down by the Royal Government of Bhutan.
To avoid hitches, please book your tour as much in advance as possible. It is necessary to go firm on exact dates of entry and exit, in order to ensure confirmed bookings with Drukair, which offers only 71 seats per flight.
- 3. How to get to Bhutan
By air, Bhutan is approachable only through Drukair from Bangkok, Calcutta, Delhi, Dhaka, Kathmandu and Yangoon.
By the land route, you can reach or exit via Phuentsholing, on the Indian border. Thimphu, the Capital, is 06 hrs away from Phuentsholing, whilst the nearest Indian airport of Bagdogra is 04 hrs away. Driving time from Darjeeling is 06 hrs, from Kalimpong it is 05 hrs and from Gangtok in Sikkim it is 08 hrs to Phuentsholing.
Please note that whilst you can enter and exit via the air route. You can use the land route either for entry or exit, and not both ways unless there is no seat available on Drukair.
- 4. Procedure for entry documents
- Step 1: Book your tour with us. We will arrange for your entry documents and the operation of the tour, with our associates, who are registered in Bhutan. We will intimate the full amount due on your account.
- Step 2: To process your visa, send the following details by email or fax
1) Full name
3) Date & place of birth
5) Passport number
6) Date of issue
7) Place of issue
8) Date of expiry
- Step 3. (Simultaneously with Step 2), Electronically transfer full payment, for the tour plus Drukair fare into the designated Royal Government account, to be specified by us.
- Step 4. Send us fax copy of intimation giving details of transfer of funds. This will enable our associates in Bhutan, to obtain the clearance number for your air ticket from the Bhutan authorities.
- Step 5. On receipt of intimation of payment, and approval of visa, a clearance number will be provided to Drukair Bhutan Office. On the basis of this number, your confirmed tickets will be dispatched to the outstation office at the place from where you will be boarding the flight into Bhutan. We will reconfirm your tour and intimate you the address and contact numbers of the city office concerned. Tickets can also be delivered at airport, or sent to you by courier.
In case you are only returning via air, your tickets will be handed over when you arrive in Bhutan.
- Step 6. On arrival at Paro airport in Bhutan or at Phuentsholing – if using land entry point, your Bhutan visa will be stamped on your passport, for a fee of USD 45 to be paid by you. Your Tour Manager, and Bhutanese Guide will greet you, as you arrive.
All this may sound very complicated – but in practice it works. Our associates in Bhutan will ensure smooth passage. For this we need to send them visa application and full payments, as per Step 2 & 3.
- 5. Accommodation
Hotel accommodation is provided at Thimphu, Paro, Phuentsholing, and Wangdue. At other places, you will stay at lodges, and guest houses with simple neat and clean rooms and toilets. Fully serviced camps will be set up in other remoter locations.
- 6. Cuisine
Indian, Bhutanese, Chinese, and continental dishes are available.
- 7. Transport
Japanese or Korean luxury vehicles with experienced and dependable drivers are provided.
- 8. Tariff
- Accommodation on twin share
- Transport with driver
- Trained and licensed guide
- All meals
- Sightseeing. Ongoing cultural events and festivals
- Airport reception, land and airport transfers
- Portage, tour leader, staff, camping facilities and all meals on treks / angling trips
- Airfare and airport taxes
- Single room supplement
- Bar and laundry
- Mineral Water
- Visa fee
- Sleeping bags and mats whilst camping.
- Will be charged for groups of less than 03 persons.
An extra charge of USD 40 per night on tariff is levied on a group consisting of 01 person only and USD 40 per person per night for a group of 02 persons.
- Single occupancy will be provided on request. Single room request supplemental charge of USD 40 per night will be levied.
The Royal Government has fixed a standard tariff. This is irrespective of hotel accommodation, lodges or camping. The tariff is USD 250 per night.(For four people an special rate of USD 250 only per night)
(a) The land cost Includes –
(b) The land cost does NOT include –
(d) Single Supplement
- 9. Insurance
No insurance is catered for. Please obtain cover for life, baggage and accident.
- 10. Cancellations
All cancellations must be given in writing.
Cancellation charges are 10 percent of the tour price within 15 days of the start of the tour. No refund is permissible for a notice period of lesser than 15 days
- 11. Air Routes
Current air routes by Drukair:-
These are subject to change at short notice.
(a) Bangkok – Paro
(b) Calcutta – Paro
(c) Delhi –Paro
(d) Dhaka – Paro
(e) Kathmandu – Paro
(f) Yangon – Paro